Thursday, October 27, 2016

Learning from Picture Books – HEY, THAT’S MY MONSTER!

I especially loved exploring the illustrations in this book. I haven’t read the first book by this author and illustrator duo, I NEED MY MONSTER, but now I want to!

Summary from the Publisher:

When Ethan checks under the bed for his monster, he finds this note instead:
“So long, kid. Gotta go. Someone needs me more than you do. –Gabe”

Ethan knows that the ‘someone’ must be his little sister Emma, who keeps
climbing out of bed to play.

She obviously needs a monster to help her get to sleep, but not HIS monster!
Will Ethan lose Gabe forever?

The perfect balance of giggles and shivers will keep you under your covers, and you'll soon be sleeping soundly.

Hey, That’s My Monster was written by Amanda Noll and illustrated by Howard McWilliam. It was published in 2016 by Flashlight Press.

Opening:

“Tonight, when I looked under the bed for my monster, I found this note instead. So long kid. Gotta go. Someone needs me more than you do. Gabe.”

My Thoughts as a Writer:

I enjoyed the fun concept of turning around the typical monster-under-the-bed story by including a problem that the narrator’s sister isn’t afraid of monsters. I liked the inventive monsters with their different ways of attempting to get Emma to sleep.

The rich illustrations in this book are full of fun details. They really come to life on the page!

My Thoughts as a Teacher:

After enjoying the fun of a read aloud with this story, it would be useful for discussing a problem and solution story framework. The vivid illustrations also make it a good choice for doing a picture walk through, and talking about the pictures before reading the text.

Ages: 5 - 8

Grades: K - 3

Themes: fears, monsters, persistence, bedtime

Activities:

What is your favourite illustration in this story? Explain why.


If you had a monster under your bed, what would it look like? Draw a picture and write about your monster’s special skills. 

What if Emma didn't have a monster? Brainstorm a list of other ways the narrator could try to get Emma to fall asleep!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).