Thursday, January 21, 2016

Learning From Picture Books - SUPER RED RIDING HOOD



This is another one of the picture books on the short list for this year’s Blue Spruce Award from the Ontario Library Association. I really enjoy fractured fairy tales and this one was a lot of fun!

Summary from the book jacket:

Ruby loves red things. She especially loves the red cloak her grandma made her. But unlike that other girl once upon a time, when Ruby puts on her red cloak, she becomes SUPER RED RIDING HOOD.


A delightful combination of something old and something new, Claudia Davila’s Super Red Riding Hood captures what it means to be an everyday superhero. 

Super Red Riding Hood was written and illustrated by Claudia Davila. It was published by Kids Can Press in 2014.

My Thoughts as a Writer:

I enjoyed the humorous voice in this story, for example, “This did not sound like an important mission to Ruby, but she could see that her mom meant business.” There are wonderful descriptive words used in the story, e.g., “the grumbly wolf skulked.”

My Thoughts as a Teacher:

The way Ruby used her powers through the story was fun. Any child could relate to her and I especially loved her as a role model as a strong girl. Fractured fairy tales are always fun because they can be read along with other versions for comparing and contrasting.

Themes: fairytales, sharing, good deeds, superheroes, bravery

Ages: 4 – 8

Grades: preschool – grade 3

Follow-Up Activities:
  • What superpowers did Ruby use in the book? Draw a picture showing Ruby using another superpower.
  • Brainstorm ideas for ways you could be a superhero and do good deeds like Ruby did.
  • Draw a design for your own superhero cape. What would you call yourself as a superhero?
  • Read another Red Riding Hood story. How are the two stories different? What is the same about them?

9 comments:

  1. Skulk - great word! I'll have to read this especially on the tail of the SCBWI-TdP contest. Thanks, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids will love a super hero in Red Riding Hood. It sounds very entertaining. You have some really great follow-up activities that encourage imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving fractured fairy tales as much as I do, I can see I need to add this book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a fun choice! Skulking to the library to see if they have it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skulk is one of my favorite words. And girl power is also a favorite. Must check this book out. Thanks for highlighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll look for this one. I especially like the idea of exploring what it means to be an everyday hero.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing another fractured fairytale. Endless possiblities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love how you separated the reasos you loved this book by what it meant for you as a writer and as a teacher. And think I may adopt this style of review.

    I love fractured fairy tales as well and will get this one to read from my library next time I go . :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article! I truly miss working with the younger crowd, I must say.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).