Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kids Who Read Middle Grade Talk About Spring

For me, the first flowers poking up their pretty blooms in my garden are a sign that spring has arrived. But I suspect it's different for the target age group for my novels. Do kids even notice the flowers? What is important about spring to middle grade readers?

To find out, I asked a few preteens what they like about spring. Here's what they said:

  • using in-line skates again
  • wearing flipflops and sandals!
  • finding out you've grown a lot taller since last year
  • swinging in the backyard swing
  • not having to bring a jacket
  • bouncing on the trampoline
  • wearing sleeveless shirts again
  • basketball
  • flowers coming up
  • it's warm when we go running outside for gym
I keep talking about describing the world from your character's perspective, but that's because I think it's so important. Nothing pulls me out of a story faster than a jarring description that wouldn't fit with what a character is thinking. But I'm relieved to know that sometimes kids notice the flowers too (or at least, they think they should).

What details do you use in your novels to describe spring?


5 comments:

  1. Where I live in Canada, those things are more like markers of late spring (like in another month or so). We're in that icky transition period. It's not quite spring and it's not quite winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are bringing in this perspective! More please! And it's such a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My middle grade daughter is all about flipflops (which I adore too)! Great concept to get us writers flipflopped back to the kid perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really relate to not having to bring a jacket. The first day that happened was SO important for me and my friends! I also loved the first night my mom let me sleep in shorty pjs instead of winter ones. So great to feel the cool sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something I love is the mix of green and still brown grass and first peeks of tulips! Thanks for sharing the kids Spring faves!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).