Friday, March 16, 2012

Adult Reading for Children's Writers

I've taken advantage of having more time over the March break to do a little more reading -- but I've been reading books for adults. After reading so much MG and YA, I often find it hard to get into an adult novel (they are often too slow). But this week I read:





Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult





The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

I enjoyed both of these and didn't have any trouble reading them, because the story in each case was compelling and kept me constantly wondering (like MG and YA books do). Interestingly, they both feature a teen or child in the story. I wonder if that's why I liked them so much!

What are you reading lately?

11 comments:

  1. Oh I've really been wanting to read Language of Flowers. I read both kid and adult lit and tend to flop back and forth... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that one. But then, I love gardening and flowers.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I've heard good things about Jodi's book. Thanks for reminding me to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. There are some similarities to My Sister's Keeper in terms of plot - but only enough that I noticed, but not enough to make me stop reading.

      Delete
  3. So glad that you had a break! ;) I've been reading a lot of cookbooks and non-fiction. I'm listening to THINKING, FAST AND SLOW which is geeky book but very interesting.

    I've seen LONE WOLF in the bookstore. Good to know it's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so agree -- adult novels are so often just too slow. Worse than that, there's too much TELLING. I keep up with Mary Higgins Clark (whose books are uneven in quality, I think) and I mostly keep up with John Grisham, but that's about it. As for my MG/YA TBR pile, it's toppling as always.

    Oh, you know what I enjoyed, though? ROOM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts here. It's important to read outside of my genre I think to give me some diversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's important too, Christy. I only wish there was more time for reading and writing!

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about having a heard time getting into adult books. I decided to read more suspense and horror, but oddly enough I find them slow. Funny, I didn't find them this way when I was a teen. I guess my heavy diet of YA has trained me to require a faster paced book. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).