Monday, August 8, 2011

How to Stay Motivated: Revisit Writing Goals

I can't believe we're already well into August and I still haven't come close to accomplishing everything I wanted to do this summer. Revising Novel #3 is moving along at a slower-than-snail pace. I think I must have set my sights too high!

But let's look at the positives. I've managed to get a lot of needed tidying and organizing done around the house, and do some things done that weren't on my list (I think they were on my husband's list though), like painting the entranceway and upstairs hall. Even better, a novel idea I had a while ago is resurfacing and I have a different take on it this time. One that begs me to do more thinking and planning.

The only trouble is I'm not doing much writing. I find that if I don't revisit my writing goals from time to time, I'm more likely to fill my free time with things that are totally non-productive. For example, I've recently discovered Plants vs. Zombies. And I don't plan on writing a zombie book any time soon.

How is your writing going this summer? What is your latest craze that's eating away your writing time?

5 comments:

  1. I had similar problems. I had it all planned out at the beginning of the summer, this for June, this for July, and we're already in August and not even close. Ho hum.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get as much writing done in the summer when the kids are out of school - I just accept that. And the organizing and tidying in our house never seems to be done - it's just a question of rolling back the tide :) I am spending way too much time at the moment on school forms of all kinds in triplicate - what happened to going green?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the best writing summer yet. But I didn't finish the book I wanted to finish! Anyway, it will be a summer to remember I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, this definitely will be a summer to remember for you!

    Moody, I wish I was getting more done, but thats the way it goes sometimes. Maybe the fall routines will help things kick in for me.

    Susanna, I usually get more done in the summer, since Im not teaching and dont have to drive anyone anywhere. But I just try to go with whatever comes up, even if its not writing.

    (sorry, Im writing this on a small laptop which for some reason uses a number sign for all forms of punctuation so Im leaving them out).

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always have BIG goals for summer but they never pan out. Maybe I'm over-reaching. However, I did get a lot done.

    My latest craze has been gelish nails. I've been really manicure crazy this summer.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).