Monday, May 23, 2011

The Thrill of Anticipation

With my query almost written (two lines to go) and my novel almost polished (one more round), I'm thinking about my next project.

I'm collecting ideas for the plot I sketched out back in March, when I thought I'd soon be finished revising Novel #4.

I'm free-writing thoughts from the perspectives of a couple of the main characters in the "new" book (it's actually a rewrite of Novel #3).

I'm taking another look at the first draft pitch and query I wrote (also back in March) to get thinking about the story again.

I love the part before I begin writing, because the idea of the project is so exciting. Right up until the moment where I start the actual writing, when a few anxieties creep in about whether it's the right place to start. You'd think I'd know by now that where I start doesn't really matter, because it's going to change when I revise.

How much time do you spend thinking about your book before you begin? Does the idea of putting those first words down make you nervous?

5 comments:

  1. I spend about a couple months plotting, planning, molding, and prewriting before I"m ready to start writing the first draft. :) Best of luck! What a fun stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this same stage as well. I haven't made any mistakes, or written myself out of the story yet. I spend a lot of time thinking about my characters, the problem, how they are going to succeed, etc. before I ever start writing. I like to make character lists so I know exactly who is involved in the manuscript and I like to tie them together (that silly Kevin Bacon game, 6 degrees of separation) - I need to know how they all fit together. Once I start writing, the words usually flow out. If not, I need to spend more time or go in another direction.

    Happy new project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this stage. Usually the book has been in the back of mind for several months. My next book is like that.

    Ironically, though once I start drafting, it morphs into something different -- usually better!

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love beginning the writing. It fuels my excitement to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true that the project has been on my mind for a long time, and that's why it's so exciting to actually get working with it.

    Karen, mine usually changes a lot too...though there are points when I really have to wonder if the changes are better than what I'd planned!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).