Friday, May 14, 2010

The Dead and the Gone

#48. The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I’ve waited a long time to read this YA novel. When I finally got the chance, I read it straight through, barely stopping to engage in my “real life”. I found it just as compelling as Life As We Knew It, which told of different characters experiencing the same life-changing event. For me, The Dead and the Gone was more gruesome and horrifying in some respects, but equally absorbing. I love Pfeffer’s writing style – straightforward, with every scene moving the story along, and very few adjectives or adverbs. Details are carefully chosen and mostly conveyed through actions.

#49. The Real Real by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

Though I don’t often like “average girl turns popular and gets the boy” stories, the reality TV setting made this one a little different. The writing was jumpy and hard to follow at times, but I liked the details and got hooked into the story.

6 comments:

  1. I just won THE DEAD AND THE GONE in a blog contest - I can't wait for it to come in the mail so I can read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I haven't read THE DEAD AND THE GONE. Because LIFE AS WE KNOW IT was horrifying enough for me! I'm very tempted to pick up book 3 though, as it returns to the characters in Book 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked all three of the Pfeffer books, though was most blown away by the first, Life as We Knew It. In the second and third, the moon had of course already come out of orbit and the big changes in life had already happened. Sequels in general have a tough row to hoe for that reason. But these are still good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia, I'm looking forward to reading the third one, when I get a chance. The first was something new, so yeah, it had the biggest impact on me (like The Hunger Games and its sequel). Kate, I am definitely going to read the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't caught up with the third one, but I was struck by how each of the other two was able to stand alone--because the characters and settings were so different. These are books I want to own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very interested in reading this one! I didn't get hooked with the MC of the first book as much as I'd like to be and I'm not really sure why. But I love the concept and the not knowing how things will end. That will keep me reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).