Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Eagerly Anticipated Disappointment

My third novel is out getting its first few critiques--always an anxiety-filled experience for me. It's the first test of whether anything about it is any good.

I'm always eager to get my critiques, but after I get them, I read them and set them aside for a while before I act on them. Why? Because there's always that tiny glimmer of hope inside that this time my writing is perfect, but of course it isn't. I sometimes feel disappointed when something I've written doesn't work. After my initial emotional reaction, logic kicks in and I see what I need to do to improve it.

Feeling disappointed is a good thing. It means my critiquers are doing a great job. (Yay Critique Circle!) It also means I know what I need to do next. But it still stings a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).