Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Moral Dilemmas and Romance

11. Graceling by Kristi Cashore

When I started reading this book, I didn't think I would finish it. Although the idea of a special killing ability was intriguing, I felt like a foreigner in a territory where I didn't belong. The fantasy world was complex. There seemed to be so many characters. But my local librarian had assured me this was a great book, so I persevered. Was I glad I did! By the time I got towards the middle, I just didn't want to put it down. You have to admire a writer who can so completely create a different world, down to the smallest of details. And I loved the moral dilemmas that the main character, Katsa, had to face because of her ability and her feelings for Prince Po.

When I read great books like this, I sometimes wonder if my own writing will ever reach a point where the reader will escape into it so completely. I think that's my ultimate goal as a writer.

1 comment:

  1. I was the same way as you. I had a really hard time getting my bearings at the beginning. But I too liked the story. Some elements like the marriage thing felt forced to me but I did like her struggle.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).