Friday, September 28, 2012

YA Read: Under the Never Sky

I recently read Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, a YA novel with lots of world-building, adventure and a romance.

One of the most interesting things about this book for me was that one of the characters, Perry, had an enhanced sense of smell and could sense other people's emotions. I enjoyed thinking about and noticing how the author described what he smelled, and how she wove it into the story.

The sense of smell is important in one of my own novels, and I've found that it can be hard to describe -- especially in a world where one of the characters might not be familiar with some smells. I recommend this novel as a good one to read if you're struggling with how to portray the sense of smell, to see how someone else does it effectively. Plus, it's a good story!

For more on using smell in writing, check out the list of resources in my post Use Smells and Tastes for Powerful Writing.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I thought it was fascinating watching Aria go from living in a virtual world to Perry's world with no technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard really good things about this story. I have a terrible sense of smell.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).